An appeal to all readers and supporters of Fightback
Dear comrades and friends,
After many hesitations and delays, not least because of the brutal assassination of Benazir Bhutto and hundreds of her supporters, the Pakistani parliamentary elections are scheduled to go ahead on 18 February. These elections are different to any other ever held in Pakistan. We have received an appeal by three candidates who are sponsored by the Pakistan Trade Union Defence Campaign and are standing on a clear socialist program.
They are standing in three of the most diverse areas of Pakistan – from the proletarian heartland of Karachi to the tribal areas of Waziristan – but their struggle for a vote against both Islamic fundamentalists and the stooges of imperialism has a widespread appeal.
This makes the election significant for workers, peasants and everybody in the whole world who is against poverty and oppression. Manzoor Ahmed, Ali Wazir, and Riaz Lund stand for a socialist federation of the South Asian subcontinent and world revolution. If the elections are not rigged, these candidates will win. Poor people throughout Pakistan are enthusiastically raising funds for their campaigns. But they are facing some of the richest people in Pakistan. They need our help.
What can you do? We need to raise awareness about their campaign internationally, so please distribute this appeal and the accompanying pamphlet as widely as possible. Organise meetings and explain the situation in Pakistan and the programme these three candidates are standing for. Raise the issue in your trade union or left wing political party. Prepare for protest actions in case of electoral fraud against them.
Make a donation towards their campaign
By credit or debit card
Donations by credit and debit card can be made courtesy of Wellred Books.
By bank transfer
Account holder: Pakistan Trade Union Defence Campaign
Reference number: K3414742PAK
Account number: 0005 0005
Sort code: 09 00 00
Swift code: to be provided by your bank
Bank’s Address: Abbey National Plc 2 Triton Square,
London NW1 3AN
PTUDC, PO BOX 6977, London, N1 3JN, Britain
PTUDC, PO Box 4244, St. Paul, MN 55104, US
Our website has been following closely the events in Pakistan. Read the most recent analysis and news here:
- The Pakistani Elections: Marxist MP Manzoor Ahmed vs. Wealthy Industrialist (January 28, 2008 – also in French and Spanish)
- Solidarity with Pakistan from the EC of the Socialist Youth of Austria (January 25, 2008)
- Pakistan: "If the regime tries to rig the elections, there will be a social explosion" (January 24, 2008 – also in Arabic)
- The Post – Lahore publishes the Marxists’ analysis on the assassination of Benazir Bhutto (January 24, 2008)
- Pakistan: Elections in South Waziristan offering a socialist alternative to imperialist hegemony and fundamentalist barbarism (January 24, 2008 – also in Spanish )
- Bomb Blast in Karachi – Fascist MQM tries to sabotage the mass movement (January 16, 2008 – also in Dutch, German and Spanish)
- The intervention of the Pakistani Marxists in the movement against the assassination of Benazir Bhutto (January 9, 2008 – also in Arabic, Dutch, Farsi, Italian and Spanish)
- Pakistan: Government covers up the crime – masses demand action against conspirators (December 31, 2007 – also in Arabic, Dutch , Farsi, French, Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish)
- Leaflet of the Pakistani comrades (December 31, 2007 – also in Indonesian)
- Letter of protest and solidarity from Morocco (December 31, 2007)
- Pakistan: The assassination of Benazir Bhutto (December 27, 2007 – also in Arabic, Catalan, Danish , Farsi, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish)